Creating a crossword puzzle was always on my list. In fact, I am not exactly new to it. During my MBA, I had created several such puzzles. But its been almost 7 years since MBA (WOW! That long already) and making such puzzles had always been something that I relished, especially theme based puzzles.
So I decided to pick up ‘places in Indonesia’ as my theme this time, to create this puzzle. For this, I wrote down all the places in Indonesia that I could remember and then looked up a bit on them. Some of these places, I have already been to so there was no need to check, but others, I came to know a lot about. I also thought this was a very interesting thing to do because I came to know many things, especially about the other major islands in this archipelago, such as Sumatra, Nussa Tenggara and Kalimantan of which I had almost no information, except for those place-names.
3. Group of islands famous for their spices
5. Kalimantan’s major urbanized place
10. an important cultural center in central Java, going there alone would be too alone
11. here lies the eighth wonder of the world, the holy land of Buddha
12. home to universities and hindu temples in east Java
16. a politically dynamic part of northern Sumatra
17. Capital of Lombok
19. A group of three islands near Bali and Lombok famous for the underwater sports
20. A major cultural center located in south – central part of Java, still has a king and prefers horse drawn carts to taxis
21. A sonata was heard in a movie… host to reveral factory outlets of garment brands
1. Indonesia’s third largest city and is based in Sumatra
2. Capital of Sulawesi
4. Capital of Indonesia
6. the house of dragons
7. Important place in south Kalimantan
8. an important international port on the eastern part of Java
9. the cultural go-to place in north Bali
13. Capital of Bali
14. famous for its Botanical gardens, a distant suburb to Jakarta
15. The huge part of island in eastern part, which is still inhabited by primitive tribes
18. Jungle where they still are discovering new species and forms of life
I will be sharing this quiz with many of my expat friends here. Answers to be posted later.